[lbo-talk] Prostate screening bad idea....

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Fri Apr 1 21:06:28 PDT 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> To put it bluntly, screenings for diseases like prostate cancer are a huge waste of resources, and the sooner we divert the resources to medical interventions that are empirically validated (e.g., vaccinations), the better.

Having someone probe your ass may seem like a huge waste to you, but I don't see it. And the PSA should be a pretty standard lab routine by now, and probably not too terrible a waste. Many prostate cancers are detected when the owner can no longer piss.

The conclusion of this study is that death rates don't differ, as a result of screening. I don't read that it suggested diverting resources, although there seem to be a lot of resource diversions being argued for 'health care'.

martin