[lbo-talk] Trusting the BLS job numbers...

Paul Bartlett aurora2050 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 19:19:34 PDT 2011

You can you can play around with seasonal adjustment Moving Average (MA) models using the open source program Grelt with X-Tramo the Census Bureau's seasonal adjustment program, which is quite sophisticated. http://gretl.sourceforge.net/x12a/x12a.html

You will of course want to use unadjusted data, generally the more years the better. BLS probably has some differences with the Census in their customizations regarding specifically employment hiring behaviour. I would like to hear from Doug the differences of using CPS data (household survey) from BLS data. I would assume that BLS is better in employment data, and CPS might be better at characterizing the unemployed.

The recession large drops does make it difficult to model, so you may want to put in some dummy variables for the important months of the crashes, which is best to be seen as exogenous shocks unless you want to spend the next six months making a complex model of employment with the finance sector. But I am a novice in Time Series econometrics, so would like to hear what others have to say.