[lbo-talk] Von Hayek was wrong

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Apr 4 18:39:52 PDT 2011

On Apr 4, 2011, at 9:11 PM, Mark DeLucas wrote:
>> "any time phrases like “I am talking to a baby boomer” appear in
>> counter-“argument”s, it is pretty much an admission of unwillingness (or
>> inability) to engage with the content."
>>
> Does it happen a lot Ravi? Very high-minded of you though; very much to be
> respected.

Thank you, boss. I accept all compliments! :-) And as for your query: does what happen a lot? Arguing against the person and that sort of thing? You would be surprised how prevalent it is. There ought to be a vaccination against it.

But did she really write “necessarily”? This is what she wrote in clarification of her first post:

> Some who work for free are desperate; some are the children of those who can afford to support the kid for another year or two until they can get the paying job.

I don’t see “necessarily” there. This seems a fairly sensible point to raise (see my earlier quote from Medawar). And fairly central I would think - in that it is a matter of isolating and thus stripping workers with some “privileges” (healthcare, collective bargaining capabilities, job security, so on).

—ravi