[lbo-talk] nanoparticles to deal with bacteria

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 05:22:53 PDT 2011

Exactly, and that's the scary thing about all of these kinds of solutions, will they only affect the bad stuff.

Along these lines, since the early 80s - when I first learned about the possibility of developing cell- or species-specific antibodies - I've imagined how cool it would be if antibodies specific to something like kudzu could be generated so that toxins with very short environmental half-lives could be attached to them as a means of plant pest (weed) control. I've always assumed that the reason this isn't done is because plants like kudzu - or dichotomous plants in general - have too many close cousins wherever they grow to forestall ecological disaster... otherwise, I guess, the cost of mass antibody production and antibody-toxin bonding could be proving prohibitive (or maybe, and I don't believe this for a minute, plant biologists aren't always very creative in their thinking.)