[lbo-talk] Good riddance

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 10:39:26 PDT 2011

Michael: "While we're at it, let's agitate for making any testing pass-fail; no recording or reporting of scores"

[WS:] I would go even further that that: - no scores except pass/fail, and maybe "pass with honors" for truly exceptional achievers (see below); - offering each student a choice of at least three different forms of test (e.g. a multiple choice test, an essay, or an oral presentation), - offering each student a choice of subject matters on which he/she will be tested in order to graduate (e.g. three passes and three certificates of completion to graduate meaning that a student may take any number of classes but can decide to be tested on three of her choice to get three pass marks and three to get certificates of completion, if classroom participation warrants it) ; - a requirement that teachers record progress that students make in mastering the material during a marking period and that accounts for a significant part of the mark (e.g. if a student made a substantial progress but still fails a bit short of the mark, he can still get a passing mark; or she can get "pass with honors" if she made a substantial progress and passed;) and - burn all books on standardized testing and round up the professoriat who write them and send them to reeducation camps where they can learn virtues of honest work and manual labor - just kidding :)

Wojtek