[lbo-talk] Desktop Publishing for people who don't know what they are doing

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 20:53:04 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM, <brandelune at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed. And if people donated to free software as much as they spend on proprietary crapware then there are plenty of things that would be fixed and improved.

No need to "donate". You do know that most of the coders of "free software" are on a company payroll, don´t you?. For instance, I´ve bought every version of StarOffice since version 5.0 (back when it was a product of German firm Stardivision Gmbh before Sun bought it and open sourced it, creating OpenOffice.org).

So by buying StarOffice I was supporting the commercial product and thus the salaries of the Sun programmers working on OpenOffice.org, plus I got clip-art and a commercial-grade spellchecker.

> I've personally donated €100 to LibreOffice the day it was announced,

You do know about Novell´s involvement, right?. And you do know that Novell was the first to "fork" OO.o with their "Go-OO" build of OpenOffice, right?. And you do know as well that "Libre" office has been already polluted to include "Mono" hooks, right?. (Mono as in "Novell´s re-implementation of the Microsoft .Net runtime")

I´m staying with OpenOffice.org.

But hey, it´s a matter of personal choice.

FC PS: only the Database GUI module in OO.o is written in Java. The rest of the apps are compiled C/C++. And it isn´t slow at all. You must have an ancient computer. Works like a charm in my 1.6 Ghz Atom powered netbook with 1GB RAM.