[lbo-talk] MoDo on Dylan

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sun Apr 10 14:40:10 PDT 2011

On Apr 10, 2011, at 4:34 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 08:46 AM 4/10/2011, Charles Turner wrote:
>
>> And Curt Cobain? He was happy to have his censored CDs in Walmart, because he remembered as a kid, that's the only place he had access to music that was even a little different.
>
> He really said that? Walmart didn't open a store in his home state of Washington until the year before he died.

Sorry, maybe Kmart. See "Waif Me":

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_Me>

And "Heavier than Heaven" by Charles Cross, p. 298:

"In Utero was finally released on September 14 in the UK and September 21 in the US, where it entered the charts at No. 1, selling 180,000 copies in the first week alone. It reached those sales figures without being carried by Wal-Mart or Kmart: both chains had objected to the song title 'Rape Me' and the back-cover collage of Kurt's fetus dolls. When his manager phoned with this news, Kurt agreed to revisions that would get the album into the stores. 'When I was a kid, I could only go to Wal-Mart,' Kurt explained to Danny Goldberg. 'I want kids to be able to get this record. I'll do what I want.' Goldberg was surprised, but he knew to accept Kurt's word: 'No one would dream of saying no to him at that point. No one made him do anything.'"