[lbo-talk] MoDo on Dylan

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 11 08:50:25 PDT 2011

At 08:43 AM 4/11/2011, Shane Mage wrote:

>>>When the lyrics made no damned sense (say, Subterranean Homesick
>>>Blues), they weren't supposed to.
>>So what were they supposed to do?
>
>Make *poetic* sense.

Thanks professor. I think that was implied in the conversation.

My daughter is in 7th grade and has been memorizing a Shakespeare sonnet. The other night she was reciting and I asked if she'd thought about what the poem means. I got a blank stare. I said it might be easier to memorize if she thought about what it meant. We spent a half hour or so reading and talking about it. We both came away the wiser.

I think going over Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands with her would be a huge bust. Not least because it would take a half hour just to listen to the fucking thing.