[lbo-talk] MoDo

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:46:42 PDT 2011

A billion people listened/listen to Michael Jackson and found it entertaining. Perhaps he could have used this popularity to inform the public on politics. Or perhaps bringing some listening pleasure (even if it is not obscure enough to be sophisticated) is enough to make someone a non-cipher?

--ravi

^^^^ CB:  Jackson organized "We are the World" , which was pretty good politically for a pop musician in the mid-1980's.

" also co-wrote the charity single "We Are the World" in 1985 with Lionel Richie, which was released worldwide to aid the poor in the U.S. and Africa. It became one of the best-selling singles of all time, with nearly 30 million copies sold and millions of dollars donated to famine relief" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson#Pepsi.2C_.22We_Are_the_World.22_and_business_career_.281984.E2.80.9385.29

Also, Jackson's approach was very much toward promoting racial integration. Not just in songs like "Black or White" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_or_White, but marrying Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis Presley, a kind of symbolic union with the leading white family of pop music -The King of Pop marries the daughter of the King.