[lbo-talk] the decline of men

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Apr 13 14:36:25 PDT 2011

On Apr 13, 2011, at 4:54 PM, John Wesley wrote:
> What I mean is that it's considered very politically incorrect to raise men's
> issues, except from a feminist viewpoint. This leads to a great deal of
> internalized hate.

Feminism as an approach or framework works because women have been and continue to be discriminated against as a class. What would be the equivalent for men, when you say “men’s issues”? Rewinding a bit, I guess, an example of men’s issues is the current one: that men are graduating at lower rates from college, etc. Certainly that’s a problem. But will that be solved by using a “menist viewpoint”? I doubt it, since I doubt that men are being discriminated against. IOW, I do not see discrimination as the primary or significant cause of men’s underperformance. That’s not because of a feminist viewpoint, but because of empirical judgement(*). But certainly I could be wrong. So, why not inform us on what we’re missing, how we can go about looking at the problem and deriving possible solutions?

(*) Affirmative action has been claimed to disenfranchise white people. Is that a valid argument and can it be transferred to this problem? Are there practices in schooling, testing, selection, so on, that are not essential for those activities and are disadvantaging for men?

—ravi