[lbo-talk] the decline of men

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:34:25 PDT 2011

I had all this stuff about conservative militarist neocon/neolib nationalism, the explosive rise of the NFL, NASCAR and WWE triumvirate,and the brain dead, anti-intellectual, violence-celebrating, lousy porn-watching, cult of true womanhood-adoring Promise Keeper masculinity... and more.

But in the end what I was saying was that neoconservatism and neoliberalism have conspired to reinscribe a "traditional" masculinity that expresses itself differently across different income strata but are pretty much all tied to a bizarre melding of masculine individualism, git 'er done anti-intellectualism and physical violence/domination... which combine to lead lots of men not in the top 10% of folks by income and wealth to overcompensate for the clear achievement gap by doubling down on individualism, anti-intellectualism and domination.

This is all too underdeveloped to hold much water but I hope it's clearer.