[lbo-talk] the decline of men

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 11:56:28 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2011, at 1:46 PM, Alan Rudy wrote:
>
> > if you read Andrew Ross' No Collar (uh-oh,
> > have I blasphemed by bringing him up?!)
>
> Heavens no. I'm a fan of his, and a friend too.

'twasn't you I was concerned about, it's those Sokal lovers... ;-) (Sometimes, I think such folks are just jealous of his hair and critical scitech hipsterism... seein' s how those Social Text types are seriously better dressed and creatively stylish than the rest of us.)

> > or have lived in the Bay Area, you
> > also know that tech workers aren't always representative of the US
> populace
> > as a whole, no?
>
> No. They're often more macho and more individualist. And these guys were in
> *Dallas*.
>
> Yet Ross' ethnography suggests otherwise much of the time... hte whole
creative class thing, no? At the same time, I have a feeling that many assume employment impermanence and are able - so long as they see it as a short-run phenomenon - to see being supported by one's wife as equally short-run and therefore less-to-not-emasculating (assuming your position holds in Dallas).