[lbo-talk] Majority opposes wealth redistribution

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Apr 14 12:27:58 PDT 2011

On Apr 14, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
>
>> Not that it is worth much, but even as gap between rich and poor is
>> wider than ever, a majority (albeit slight) of Americans opposes
>> taxing the rich to redistribute wealth.
>>
>> http://www.gallup.com/poll/147104/Democrats-Republicans-Differ-Widely-Taxing-Rich.aspx
>
> A plurality, 49-47. Sorry to be picky about it.

That’s an Americanism, isn’t it? (I know, I know, we are in the USA, most of us, and importantly, the list is, but still, we are Internationalists, aren’t we!). In comparison to the rest of the world, AFAIK:

English US English ================================== Majority Plurality Absolute Majority Majority

> But the wording is quite strong: "Do you think our government should or should not redistribute wealth by heavy taxes on the rich." It uses a couple of hot words, "redistribute" and "heavy," and doesn't define "rich." This would be a way of phrasing it to spin the results negative.

Yeah, that’s choice wording! They might as well have asked thrown in “take food away from the tables of starving millionaires” (as Patrick Ewing once suggested).

—ravi