[lbo-talk] U.S. giving up on Libyan rebels

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 13:57:40 PDT 2011

Horrible guys often do lots of good things and horrible guys fall in and out of favor with imperialists depending on the situation.

Much of what ronabass says is cretinous but other parts of what he says are true and can be easily verified: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libya

Basic education in Libya is free for all citizens,[194] and compulsory to secondary level. The literacy rate is the highest in North Africa; over 82% of the population can read and write.[1

Compared to its neighbors, Libya enjoys a low level of both absolute and relative poverty. Libyan officials in the past six years have carried out economic reforms as part of a broader campaign to reintegrate the country into the global capitalist economy.[172] This effort picked up steam after UN sanctions were lifted in September 2003, and as Libya announced in December 2003 that it would abandon programmes to build weapons of mass destruction.[173]

Libya has the highest HDI in Africa and the fourth highest GDP (PPP) per capita in Africa as of 2009 NOTE HDI is Human Development Index.

Cheers, ken hanly

----- Original Message ---- From: Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, April 15, 2011 2:44:43 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] U.S. giving up on Libyan rebels

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Dennis Redmond <metalslorg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Gaddafi is NOT some misunderstood revolutionary. He's just another
> cretinous
> petro-gangster who pumped out oil for First World corporations while
> starving his people of resources, all while pretending to be anti-US.
>
> -- DRR

The Gaddafists will tell you that it´s all lies invented by the CIA and MI6. That Gaddafi didnt participate in the Lockerbie bombing, that Gaddafi gave his people the best living standards in all of Africa, and that he distributed oil profits to all the people, which they were able to pick up monthly from their local banks

"Libya has the highest GDP in .Africa, less than 5% of the population is classified as poor and it has fewer people living below the poverty datum line than for example in Holland.·

"Life expectancy is 75 years and is the highest in Africa and I0% above the world average. With the exception of the nomadic Bedouin and Tuareg tribes, most Libyan families possess a house and a car.

There is free health care and education and not surprisingly Libya has a literacy rate of 82%. Last year Gadaffi distributed $500 to each man, woman and child (population 6.5 million).". http://ronabbass.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/true-or-false-colonel-gaddafi-mad-dictator-bloody-tyrant/

I haven´t been able to verify the above... which has been repeated ad-nauseum down here.