[lbo-talk] Open Office v. MS Office

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Apr 19 11:31:23 PDT 2011

Won't kill you to slum it with the rest of them once in a while.

Bill O'Connor

Thanks, and thanks to all who responded.

I wish Emacs for XP worked the way it did on FreeBSD, but it doesn't. They had to pre-compile Emacs into its lowest functional form. I am not sure about the technicalities. Basically it is isolated from any of its former interactions with many OS functions.

This same isolation also shows up in the LaTeX distribution for XP. It sits in some directory with all its components and packages and works as a stand alone. It works, but it has lost much of it's flexibility that TeX had.

CG