[lbo-talk] Open Office v. MS Office

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:58:49 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Chuck Grimes <c123grimes at att.net> wrote:
> It was on me to figure it out. So I had to go hat in hand to the IP guy I
> had unsubscribed from and had used for more than a decade to sort out the
> problem. Once I got the device name number stuff cleared up, I had to
> install some part of PPPOE which wasn't part of the base Ubunto install. I
> had configured Ubunto to old style fixed addresses, not DHCP and no PPPOE
> facility.

That´s what you shuld NEVER, EVER EVER rely on your own PC to do the connection with the broadband ISP, and you should instead install a home broadband router/firewall like the ubiquitous and inexpensive Linksys BEFR41 series.

Then, all you have to do from any PC, with ANY OS is set the router´s internal IP address (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x) as the "default gateway" for the TCPIP stack, and bingo, all machines have ineternet connectivity. In that case, the ISP log-in is handled by the home router, and configured by filling out 3 settings with a web form (connection type:[ ]DHCP [ ]PPPoE [ ]Fixed IP - Username [ ] and Password [ ] )

FC