[lbo-talk] 10 charts...

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Apr 22 12:53:16 PDT 2011

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:10:02 +0000 (UTC) 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> As for Bellow: Augie March was dazzling writing!
> A hugely talented writer with not much to say.
> The Bernini of American literature.

That's a very funny comparison, especially for a guy like me who's always been firmly in the Borromini camp. But even as a non-fan of Bernini I think it's too flattering to Bellow. Not only does he have nothing to say, but to my ear, he's damn tedious saying it -- all these wooly abstractions constantly slung around, imprecise, vaguely-sketched images, metaphors that don't click....

But Joanna is in good company. Philip Roth, a writer I adore, thinks very highly of boring old Uncle Saul. Go figure.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com