[lbo-talk] The debt is not nearly as scary as you think: Government budgets are nothing like family budgets

Chuck Munson chuck0munson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 22:40:36 PDT 2011

The debt is not nearly as scary as you think: Government budgets are nothing like family budgets

BY David Graeber NY Daily News Thursday, April 21st 2011

We have to live within our means. That's what President Obama repeatedly tells us, echoing a point Republicans have been making for years. Like households, governments must husband our resources and balance our budgets, or future generations will surely pay.

There's a problem here. The analogy is ridiculous. Government budgets - and the U.S. budget in particular - are absolutely nothing like a household budget.

Here are five reasons why:

1. Households can't levy taxes.

True, governments, like households, have revenue coming in and expenses to be paid out. But if the breadwinner in a family has a job, he doesn't get to decide what he's paid for it. The U.S. government can charge its employer (the taxpayer) pretty much anything it wants to.

More: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2011/04/21/2011-04-21_the_debt_is_not_nearly_as_scary_as_you_think_government_budgets_are_nothing_like.html