[lbo-talk] Poor teaching for poor children...

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 06:17:16 PDT 2011

Joanna quoted: "Standardized exams serve mostly to make dreadful forms of teaching appear successful. As long as they remain our primary way of evaluating, we may never see real school reform -- only an intensification of traditional practices, with the very worst reserved for the disadvantaged."

[WS:] The piece is great but it somewhat misses the mark about standardized testing. Standardized testing is not about *evaluating* education - it *is* education, or rather a mental conditioning routine that rewards making the "right" choice from a narrowly defined set of provided options and punishes independent thinking. In other words, classroom instruction has value only if it prepares students for the primary educational activity - standardized testing. If it does not, it is a distraction at best, and even counterproductive if it encourages thinking.

Wojtek