[lbo-talk] DU weapon use in Libya

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:51:37 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM, ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There have been some reports that DU weapons have been used to destroy
> tanks
> in Libya. Have these ever been verified.

I've been following the newsfeeds pretty closely, but haven't seen any sign of this. DU ammunition is limited to close-attack aircraft like A-10 gunships and the like, but the UN mission is using Mirages and drones, which rely on precision missiles.

There's zero military justification to use A-10s at this point -- most of the regime's vehicles are scrap metal by now, the dictator is on the ropes, and the rebels have learned to fight in Misurata. Libya will be free in another couple months or so.

-- DRR