[lbo-talk] DU weapon use in Libya

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:28:57 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>wrote:

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/us-deploys-low-flying-attack-planes-in-libya/2011/03/26/AF9grPqB_story.html
>
> [...]
> The U.S. military dramatically stepped up its assault on Libyan government
> ground forces over the weekend, launching its first missions with AC-130
> flying gunships and A-10 attack aircraft designed to strike enemy ground
> troops and supply convoys.

I stand corrected. The rebels were complaining back in early April about the UN mission not using US close-attack aircraft. (Not that I blame them. When a dictator is slaughtering your friends and loved ones, depleted uranium is the least of one's worries.) Haven't seen anything more recent than this, though.

The UN mission was and is necessary, but it would still be a dreadful and unnecessary tragedy if they're using DU. That stuff is monstrously toxic.

-- DRR