[lbo-talk] The death of cursive

John Wesley godisamethodist at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 20:57:01 PDT 2011

Another "lost art" is that of diagramming sentences. That was always torture for me, and I understand that it is not taught anymore. I never could figure out what the point of doing them was! Mike G

________________________________ From: John Wesley <godisamethodist at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thu, April 28, 2011 10:52:03 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The death of cursive

...unless they bring back essay questions (which I think some of the achievement

tests are now doing!) Mike

________________________________ From: "123hop at comcast.net" <123hop at comcast.net> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thu, April 28, 2011 10:34:00 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] The death of cursive

Apparently with all the prep needed for standardized tests, there is no need for

students to learn cursive writing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/us/28cursive.html?_r=1

This basically means that they are entirely cut off from looking at original written documents, whether historical or personal.

It is also likely to discourage first written drafts, as it's a pain to print.

A pity,