[lbo-talk] American Idiocracy redux

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat Apr 30 19:19:42 PDT 2011

"Take This Job and Shove It," ... (I used to turn it up at work)

Nobody identified with Nine to Five when it came out, 'cuz no one could figure out what those chicks were bent out of shape about.

Alan Rudy

That movie was so popular here in bizerkely that my kid's fifth-sixth grade class did a play and sang the music like an old fashion musical with great enthusiasum. Of coures I could be wrong and it all had to do with Dolly Parton's tits. But it sure looked like a infant political awareness waking up to me.

Sometime before that I took my kid to Norma Rae, hoping he would get it...not sure that worked. He got the mean boss part.

But surprize, I wanted to see Bergman's Scene from a Marriage, so I took my kid because he was with me that part of the week. The little fucker was on the edge of his seat in rapped attention. Eight year old fan of Bergman? And god was it long.

If the anti-intellectualism of the US bother's you, you should check out the biographies of the British Royal family. We're talking real bloody sots of mediocrity squared and liking it. Just for example consider that none of the women go to college...a weird factoid that I think can only be explained by the stupidity of some of the men who did.

Not all the gold of Africa, all the jewels of India, or all the painted tricks of Joshua Reynolds can cover this sickening shit up.

CG