[lbo-talk] The myth of Obama blunders and weakness

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Aug 2 11:49:25 PDT 2011

On Aug 2, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
> Ravi: "So the radical left should abstain from analysis?"
>
> [WS:] It would not be such a bad idea. Remaining silent has many
> virtues and its only risk is that others may suspect that the radical
> left has nothing of substance to say. Breaking the silence removes
> any such doubts.

There are two points here: first, whether we analyse events, assumptions, rhetoric, so on, to get at facts, make predictions, or form an action plan. Second, whether we should then publicise such analysis and its conclusions.

You seem to object to the latter, which others have done for other reasons (they have raised the question: what is the value of saying “I told you so”?). I have responded on the value of “I told you so”s. I do not have a response to your point, other than to say that I disagree that the left has nothing of substance to say.

On the other hand, I read Julio’s post as an objection to the former (more on that separately).

—ravi