[lbo-talk] Reagan and the Patco Strike

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:52:27 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:04 AM, James Leveque <jamespl79 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Any thoughts/critiques of this piece here? I don't know too much about the
> Patco strike but I started thinking about it when Obama gave the green light
> to have all the teachers at Central Falls High fired in February '09. My
> first reaction to the piece is sort of left-of-center apologetics for
> Reagan. The bit about impressing Gorbachev and the Soviets strikes me as
> bizarre on the face of it

Ah, how the centurions cling to the Emperors of their dying realm. But there is an unwitting grain of truth in the piece: the realization that the Soviet meltdown foreshadowed our own.

First-term Obama is our Gorbachev (only without the sense to get the heck out of Afghanistan), and second-term Obama will be our Yeltsin (only without the heavy drinking).

-- DRR