[lbo-talk] BobboSphere is not disillusioned with Obama

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 08:31:53 PDT 2011

On 8/3/2011 10:52 AM, Julio Huato wrote:

> I have stated my own views on Obama. This, however, is a viewpoint
> that I respect. I believe that these views reflect the needs of
> comrades who are involved in working class organizing, particularly in
> African American and Latino settings. Of course, people in other
> settings (e.g. in these lists, which are not to be dismissed or
> underestimated) have different needs. But these political activists
> have to relate to very specific groups of people, folks who support
> Obama for raw ethnic and racial reasons and who start from a very high
> level of alienation. I'd be curious to know how you address or bypass
> these sentiments in an effort to help these people get organized.

Okay, if I understand you right, given these people's level of alienation, they *at first* need to get hooked by "raw racial and ethnic reasons." But then, if their consciousness is to develop at all, they eventually have to get disillusioned and come to see the limitations of that kind of thinking. Isn't disillusionment the necessary step? Otherwise, they never leave the plane of "raw racial and ethnic reasons." Or am I misunderstanding you?

So, doesn't that mean you have to try to advance the process of disillusionment?

SA