[lbo-talk] happy birthday Obama

John Glastonbury jglastonbury at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 08:42:31 PDT 2011

I find it hilarious that the market started freaking out after the bipartisan debt ceiling deal. Funnier still that it did so on his 50th birthday.

Did anyone catch the speech he gave at the naval yard? he 'challenged' the private sector to hire 100,000 veterans by 2013, and promised still yet more tax credits to hire unemployed workers and veterans, and promised a 'reverse bootcamp' i.e. career counseling services for veterans. all of these things are obviously marginal tinkering-at-the-edges type initiatives, but I also can't help being concerned over the increasing attempt to elevate the status of veterans; landless peasants who joined the Roman legions were given land at the end of their service, hopeless unemployed marginalized citizens who join the American armed forces are increasingly being incentivized to be profitable hires.

at the same time, I also sensed a little bit of desperation or panic in this press event...

as a birthday gift, I suggest that we mail Obama and the white house as many copies of the last chapter of Wages Price and Profit as we can afford.