[lbo-talk] Left-Wing Communism, A Personality Disorder?

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 13:02:25 PDT 2011

Some interesting food for thought:

"I would someday like to write a pamphlet called “Left Wing Communism: A Personality Disorder.”

I find some of the intellectual content of the left communist milieu compelling, especially as filtered through some friends of mine, but in my experience of that milieu socially I find it less compelling. An older radical I met once said “all the Situationists I’ve ever known have been morose alcoholics.” That’s a bit unfair but it’s not *just* unfair. The Situationists shouldn’t be reduced to that emotional tenor, and I’m not here trying to reduce anything or anyone in that manner, but still, these emotional and social dynamics are real. That is to say, a lot of left communist ideas are worth taking seriously, but so is the fact that that milieu tends to be socially disfunctional, and the connection between the ideas and disfunctional character of the milieu is worth taking seriously as well."

Full article: http://whatinthehell.blogsome.com/2011/08/04/is-left-wing-communism/