[lbo-talk] Altruism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 8 19:43:46 PDT 2011

"Altruism" has become a technical term in evolutionary biology, but it is a most unfortuante term, reeking of the positivism and conservatism of the man who coined it.

We don't need the biologists to tell us that people will often eagerly flock to collective actions to change the world; it happens all the time, even prior to industrial capital. And ordinary meanings of "altruism" in its popular sense has nothing to do with it.

Carrol

Carrol