[lbo-talk] Altruism

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Aug 10 12:27:30 PDT 2011

On Aug 10, 2011, at 2:18 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> On 8/10/2011 10:24 AM, Shane Mage wrote:
>>
>> Dropping the words "all" (many concepts are just wrong) and "spring
>> from" (many correct concepts derive from other correct concepts--
>> that is what rationality means for humans) we are left with the
>> correct concept that all correct concepts *correspond* directly or
>> (generally) indirectly to basic sensory perceptions (which is why
>> diagrams are essential to the teaching of geometry). This is
>> neither Nominalism nor its cousin Idealism. Its just (platonic)
>> Realism or its cousin (hegelian/marxian) "Dialectical Materialism."
>
> It's reassuring to know that you have the meta-sensory apparatus to
> accurately determine that the "correct concepts" correspond to your
> "basic sensory perceptions". (You recognize the unavoidable
> epistemological regress here, yes?)

I recognize no such thing, since it's not a metaphysical "logical" matter but a dialectical one. No "meta-sensory apparatus" needed. As Marx put it: "The question whether objective truth can be attributed to human thinking is not a question of theory but is a practical question. Man must prove the truth, i.e., the reality and power, the this-sidedness of his thinking, in practice."

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"