[lbo-talk] The criminalization of the poor

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 23:14:11 PDT 2011

A good article by B.Ehrenreich

http://counterpunch.org/ehrenreich08092011.html

No surprises. What she did not mention, is how law enforcement itself is becoming more criminal.

The week I came out of surgery my car got towed away. Legally parked, no tickets, registration ok.

I went to retrieve it one day after the towing; it cost me $430 to get it back. That's not noise; but it did not wreck my life, as it could do for so many people.

When I complained about the tow, I was told that it had been towed because "it had been abandoned in the middle of the street." We're talking about a two ton Volvo with a special security lock to get into the door and another one to start the engine. I know for a fact that it took a professional locksmith three hours to get into the car. But somehow this car was moved ten feet "into the middle of the street," with no sign of breaking or entering, and left there.

In fact, it had been parked in perfect towing position, it was the end of the month, and I guess someone needed the cut they got from the towing company or ....who knows. Oakland certainly needs more revenue.

Note to self: always park car between two other cars.

Joanna