[lbo-talk] Wisconsin recall results

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 16:55:12 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Dennis Redmond <metalslorg at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Joshua Morey <amvojo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What kind of resistance would you have worked with or tried to
> > organize?
>
> I don't want to speak on Woj's behalf, but his point is dead accurate
> -- the Dems are the party of Goldman Sachs, the Rethugs are the party
> of Halliburton, Obama's first term is as America's Gorbachev, and his
> second term will be as America's Yeltsin, etc.
>
> As for the US-based resistance -- it has to be transnational. It has
> to target the enemy: neoliberalism, a.k. the rule of the plutocrats
> (there are 11 million of them on the planet, they own $42.7 trillion
> of wealth). And it has to reinvent a post-imperial democracy, on every
> level of American society, from the digital commons to the
> developmental state.
>
> -- DRR

So, your argument is that folks in Wisconsin, or Michigan, or Illinois, or Florida or a plant in South Carolina should organize transnationally to address issues of state and federal budgets or local labor practices? The teachers, or librarians in the state library/museum, or prison guards, or sanitation workers being attacked or devastated by defunding in so many states should organize transnationally first? I am not discounting horizontal and/or transnational organizing but if you don't have critical mass and decent organization locally - whether as a vestige of previous organizing, an emergent condition or something made possible by outside engagements - the rest is impossible, however much it is a key goal.

This is a wildly complex issue but it needs to be addressed in that complexity, evaluating spatial and temporal issues at appropriate scales not with superficial glosses like Woj's or Dennis'.