[lbo-talk] riots of the '60s

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 22:00:51 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "michael perelman" <michael.perelman3 at gmail.com>

Your Dad sounds like quite a guy.

He was the only son of a very rich jewish banking family. Born in 1917. Grew up during the depression, sent to a labor camp in WWII. Family lost everything first to the nazis and then to the communists. He didn't care. Worked with the resistance during the war.

Had the guts to emigrate and start life over when he was near fifty. But he did have the great good luck to do it during the golden age of organized labor: he became a billing clerk for the Teamsters and pulled that plow into a truly golden retirement. Good for him. I used to have an academic achievement certificate signed by Jimmy Hoffa. Stupid me; I lost it.

Only thing wrong: he was a great womanizer. Hard on my mom.

Joanna