[lbo-talk] riots of the '60s

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 12 05:47:26 PDT 2011

The materials for any research on the riots themselves is either not available or available only in police files. It would have to start out with oral history from hundreds of participants. And that would have had to be collected almost immediately after each riot. The other, utterly undependable source, would be newspaper accounts. Comparing riots to revolutons is something like comparign skin srapings from a partridge with an elephant in a zoo. As I said in the post fwd from pen-l: Riots are pre-political responses to outrages in the absence of any formal means of redress. No riots in neighborhoods in which either the Panthers or SNCC had been active.

Carrol