[lbo-talk] Krugman on MMT

Steve Bruns sdbruns at telus.net
Fri Aug 12 13:50:17 PDT 2011

On 12-Aug-11, at 8:10 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> He not only lags Doug in LBO, now he lags Seth and Mike in LBO-talk:
>
> http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/franc-thoughts-on-long-run-fiscal-issues
>
> Michael

A rebuttal from Bill Mitchell:

To challenge something you have to represent it correctly

I haven’t much time today. I note that the British Chancellor has made an emergency speech to the House of Commons last night (August 11, 2011) – Statement on the global economy. He claimed that the fiscal austerity had made the UK a “safe haven” for investors. The reason that demand for gilts is high at present is because the bond markets know the UK has no default risk. I also noted Paul Krugman’s wrote a blog in the New York Times yesterday (August 11, 2011) – Franc Thoughts on Long-Run Fiscal Issues – where he challenges Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) directly. To challenge something you have to represent it correctly.

full at - http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=15683&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+economicoutlook%2FFYvo+%28billy+blog%29