[lbo-talk] Altruism

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Fri Aug 12 16:01:56 PDT 2011

> For example, to see altruism as involving sacrifice only makes sense if
> you take the division between self and other as absolute. I have never
> experienced it as such. With most people, especially the ones I care
> about, it feels more like a continuum, and it actually makes me happy to
> do things for them, with them, etc... It doesn't feel like their gain and
> my loss; it feels like an overall gain.
>
> Joanna

Yes, well said. I want to add that somehow this debate is missing some core realization about socialization and peers sticking together. Teenagers v. Grown-ups and that sort of thing. They are forming their own cohort and changing their relations with each other and their older parents and relatives depending on how the society is changing along with external pressures

CG