[lbo-talk] Roubini: Marx was right

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 13 11:07:25 PDT 2011

On 8/13/2011 12:32 PM, ken hanly wrote:
> I somehow had the idea that this would happen only if the working class organized to make it happen. What is being destroyed is the social safety net and all the gains that social democracy achieved earlier.Would Marx consider the UK rioters part of the lumpenproletariat? Cheers k hanly

Yes. Marx never claimed that capitalism would destryo itself. He did claim that it produced its own grave diggers, the working class. He did _not_, however, claim that the victory of that class is certain. He was no utopian Progressive, believing that onward and upward was built into the structure of history.

Carrol