[lbo-talk] apply for WBAI program director!

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 08:40:08 PDT 2011

In the summer of 1960, my mother's cousin, who was the largest campaign contributor in California to the Democrats and who paid for Kennedy's train from which he campaigned across the country, invited me out to California to hobnob with the senators and congressmen and other delegates. His intention was to show off for my father.

After I stayed with him for a week or so, I got my own apartment. I knew nobody else in Los Angeles. Late, one Saturday night, I was flipping around the radio dial and hit upon KPFK, a Pacifica station, which was playing music by Harry Parch. I was hooked.

Over the years, I learned much more from Pacifica, than from my university education. I have supported Pacifica over the years, but its recent course pains me a great deal.

We can joke about the nonsense of the clowns that have hijacked the network, but the decline of the network is far more destructive than the election of a handful of tea party zealots.

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com