[lbo-talk] Planet Bulgari, Age of 5-Star Restaurants

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 14:26:53 PDT 2011

At 11:28 AM 8/15/2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

>I meant the districts with Tory MPs. Does that mean anything?

Here's where the quote is from:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fac0b38e-c1d1-11e0-bc71-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1V8Qy6LJY

August 9, 2011 8:42 pm

The intifada of the underclass

By Danny Kruger

[...]

The districts that took the brunt of the rioting on Monday night were not sink estates. Enfield, Ealing, Croydon, Clapham ... these places have Tory MPs, for goodness’ sake. A mob attacked the Ledbury, the best restaurant in Notting Hill.

It is people in places like these who wrinkled their noses when, in opposition, Mr Cameron talked of “broken Britain”. They felt safe in the city, and thought it ill-mannered to talk like that about the locals. Britain has got better, richer, more “tolerant” – but only, we now find, insofar that “we” are more tolerant of “them”: the esteem was not reciprocated.

[...]