[lbo-talk] London Riots anew

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:22:44 PDT 2011

Here's a piece on the riots by Asad Haider and Salar Mohandesi that might be of interest:

http://jacobinmag.com/blog/?p=1253

Today, with England in flames, we identify two representative responses. The first recalls the enthusiasm of the Sex Pistols for “Anarchy in the UK”: Malcolm Harris<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fjacobinmag.com%2Fblog%2F%3Fp%3D994&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFRqFegfP0nvN0Qa6k6KXPkK_K0nA>celebrates “grassroots Keynesians, increasing aggregate demand one broken window at a time.” This is a tradition inaugurated by Guy Debord<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fpluselectrification.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F08%2F11%2Fsociety-of-the-skeptical%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEzSvSMT-gVaJ1xFxRSToF_u8Hzjw>, who wrote of the 1965 Watts Riots that looting “instantly undermines the commodity as such.” At the other extreme is the motto from “God Save the Queen,” which sees “no future” for the left. Owen Jones<http://www.labourlist.org/the-riots-are-a-catastrophe> writes on a Labour Party-themed website that the riots are a “catastrophe,” traumatizing and terrorizing middle-of-the-road Londoners. He warns that the inevitable consequence is a right-wing backlash: the middle class will turn against the poor, furnishing a justification for state repression.

[...]