[lbo-talk] Wisconsin recall results

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 15 18:42:50 PDT 2011

I'll want to study Joshua's post carefully later, but one quick observation. As I've noted a couple times already, Wisconsin has ignited new kinds of conversation as well as new kinds of activity all over the nation. "Criticism" of what they did there is as ludicrous as to criticize Montgomery NAACP because their tactic did not lead to Congress passing sweeping civil-rights legislation in 1957. They started something. We do not know yet what that something is or whether it will grow. We do know that in cities across the nation people who six months ago did not know of each others existence are now talking to each other, speculating on possible further action, thinking. This won't impress Wojtek.

Beginnings are always confused. Criticism of them is always stupid -- even when the criticism turns out to be right, it's still stupid. Read Ollman's Dialectical Investigations.

Carrol