[lbo-talk] The three stages of riot

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Tue Aug 16 06:08:54 PDT 2011

On Aug 16, 2011, at 8:46 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> But these Johnny-come-latelys are always the effect, and never the cause, of the looting.

Hi Michael-

Thanks for this post. I wondered why this category hadn't been mentioned yet.

It's like the broken Coke machine is dispensing free sodas and no one else is around. Who wouldn't help themselves?

I wonder if the relative anonymity of chain stores, as opposed to mom 'n' pops might further this attitude, and also whether the remorse shown at trial (to the extent that it's real) might be coming from these Johnny-come-latelys? Did they even bother/think to cover their faces? Were they then the easiest to ID on the surveillance footage, and arrest after-the-fact?

Best, Charles