[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:25:06 PDT 2011

A quick note on the nationalization of gold in Venezuela. The current price of gold is prompting the move. I think Chávez's idea is to hoard a great deal of that gold. I don't think that is a good move. I am on the record warning them against that. I mean, nationalizing the sector is fine, of course. But, aside from a modest stock of gold reserves insuring them against a very bad global economic climate, Venezuela should be sell its remainder in the markets before the bubble pops and use the revenues to bolster public education (quality needs to be upgraded, badly), health care, arts, sports, science, technology, and infrastructure. I may have to swallow my words if the U.S., Japan, and the EU get into a prolonged mess and gold stabilizes at a high price. I guess I am hopeful that the left in the West will bounce back and lead the way.