[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Aug 17 10:27:53 PDT 2011

On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:13 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, // ravi wrote:
>
>> do you feel we (Russia and the world) would be the same today if Putin had succeeded Chernenko?
>
> There couldn't have happened. Putin wasn't selected into the central committee. He wasn't the kind of guy they were looking for then.

True. But I suspect Gorbachev was still more than an apparatchik marching to a new central committee tune. If not for anything else, for those of us on the other side of the imperial curtain, he was the flesh behind “glasnost” and “perestroika”. I am curious: what part did he (as opposed to Yeltsin) have to play in handing over the country to IMF-style manipulators and oligarchs? I have assumed that Gorbachev having been ousted shortly after the Soviet Union crumbled, most of the blame for what followed rests with Yeltsin… but that’s just an assumption.

—ravi