[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:40:05 PDT 2011

On 8/17/2011 10:20 PM, // ravi wrote:

> But we are in the era of Bush, aren’t we? By stealing an election from
> a country that was converging to a reliable neo-liberal minimal
> welfare state run by credentialists, popularising a sort of muscular
> and proud ignorance that Reagan could only dream of, providing massive
> tax cuts and launching two soul and economy destroying wars, Bush has
> set the tone, direction and limits of the future of the US (the most
> powerful entity in the history of the world) for the first 50 years of
> the 21st century, hasn’t he?

Was all that really caused by George W. Bush and his unique personal attributes? Do you think Bush is the only Republican who would have pushed big tax cuts or responded to 9/11 with an Iraq invasion? Wasn't the Bush agenda just the Republican Party agenda circa 2001-2009? And where did that agenda come from? Did it really all emerge from the malign brain of George W. Bush?

SA