[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 06:32:11 PDT 2011

On 8/18/2011 9:25 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> It would have been decades before system collapsed of its own accord.
> But that spectre was quite [apparent?] to them. So change was already
> forced. If not from Gorby, it would have come from someone else.

This just isn't true. It would really require a rewriting of history to say that the CPSU leadership in 1985 or 1986 believed their system was in anything like a terminal crisis. They thought there were problems that should be dealt with - but certainly not in any way that risked putting the system itself in the slightest jeopardy.

SA