[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 09:10:16 PDT 2011

CB: "But I don't know that it was a new class. Mostly a disguised old privileged class."

[WS:] I think you are quite mistaken on that. The Communists were quite good at eradicating the old upper class, which for the most part was landowners. The new social class was composed mainly of the intelligentsia, which was almost an entirely a Communist creation. The new intelligentsia merely stepped into the shoes of the old elites, aped their customs and culture, or "anxiously conjured up the spirits of the past to their service, borrowing from them names, battle slogans, and costumes" as the Old Man aptly observed (opening to the 18th brumaire).

Indeed - this was perhaps one the biggest paradoxes of history - the Communists whose claim for fame was the belief that capitalism sows the seeds of its own destruction themselves sowed the seeds of their own destruction - the intelligentsia that they created almost from the scratch turned into the force that eventually did its creators in.

Wojtek