[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: I Should Have Left the Communist Party Earlier

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 14:54:05 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek S" <wsoko52 at gmail.com>

Earlier

[WS:] I guess it depends on the country. What you are talking may be true for Romania and perhaps Hungary, but certainly not for other EE countries. Czechoslovakia had a relatively sizable pre- WW2 intelligentsia, but they tended to be progressive. In any case, Czechoslovakia did not have much domestic upper class at least since 1620. In Poland, otoh, pre-war intelligentsia was rather small (Poland was predominantly rural) and most of it perished in WW2 - so it is certainly true that post war intelligentsia was created by the Communists from the scratch. This is also true for Russia. Pre-revolutionary intelligentsia was rather small to begin with, and whatver was left of it after the revolution was really a drop in a bucket comparing to the vast number of college graduates produced by the Soviet higher educational system.

PS. sorry for the wrong attribution of the original quote.

You're very right to make these distinctions. I think where we disagree is about the predominant role of the CP in creating the intelligentia's sense of entitlement.

No doubt, some of this relates to the CPs un-democratic and authoritarian structure. But, a good deal also comes from pre-existing class prejudice. And remember, class prejudice is no more restricted to the upper class than racism is restricted to whites. By this I mean, that a good part of the working/lower class accepts the hierarchy and asks nothing better than to be one rung higher than his brother.

Joanna