[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 19 08:05:13 PDT 2011

On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> I saw it in the context of the larger thread's focus on how to engage race
> - which CC didn't make explicit, but I see where you were coming from.

Also, a point that Adolph Reed makes often, and one that Seth implicitly makes in his Jacobin piece, is that racism isn't what it used to be. Seth's article lists some "attitudes" held by conservatives towards black people. They're noxious, but they're a long way from Jim Crow and lynch mobs. As Adolph argues, back in the day, one fought actual racist laws. Fighting a set of attitudes is a different ball of wax. But a lot of left rhetoric around race doesn't acknowledge this.

Doug