[lbo-talk] Are Conservatives Racist?

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Fri Aug 19 14:45:30 PDT 2011

I certainly don't agree with this. As Alan pointed out earlier, we can still find forms of racism deeply embedded in the economic and disciplinary structures of the country. Additionally, the gutting of the social safety net has been legitimated through what Etienne Balibar calls a differentialist racism not grounded in biology. Confronting those policies also entails engaging with the forms of racism that legitimate and often structure them. Or perhaps to draw on Balibar's introduction to his work with Immanuel Wallerstein. "This is why, in the course of this book, I have maintained, particularly, that the (re-)constitution on new bases (and in new words perhaps of a class ideology, capable of counteracting today's... galloping nationalism, has a pre-condition--which already determines its contents--an effective anti-racism." I agree that this anti-racism has to confront the profound shifts in the theories and structures of racism in the country, but those forms cannot be simply reduced to an issue of prejudicial beliefs.

robert wood